It’s been said that a picture is worth a thousand words. If that is the case, then video is worth chapter and verse! (60 seconds approx relates to 1.5 million words according to moovly’s calculations!)
Cisco states that in 2017 video made up for 69% of all consumer internet traffic. Google’s purchase of YouTube, with over 4 billion video views per day, will only impact it’s importance further and we can expect this to impact website rankings.
SHINE working with Dawnfresh to create a corporate video
In summary, video content is deemed relevant, by the relevant powers that be!
Some interesting stats about our watching habits.
- 45% of people watch more than an hour of Facebook or YouTube videos a week.
- 87% of online marketers use video content.
- 72 Hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every 60 seconds.
- Every second, a million minutes (17,000 hours) of video content will cross global IP networks by 2021, according to Cisco (via Forbes).
- Over 500 million (half a BILLION) people are watching video on Facebook every day (via Forbes).
- Over half of video content is viewed on mobile.
- 92 percent of mobile video viewers share videos with others.
- 51% of marketing professionals worldwide name video as the type of content with the best ROI.
- Marketers who use video grow revenue 49% faster than non-video users.
- Social video generates 1200% more shares than text and images combined.
- 85% of Facebook videos are watched without sound.
- Videos up to 2 minutes long get the most engagement
- Video on a landing page can increase conversions by 80% or more.
- Viewers retain 95% of a message when they watch it in a video compared to 10% when reading it in text.
- The average user spends 88% more time on a website with video.
Internet video traffic made up 69% of all global consumer Internet traffic in 2017.
By 2019, internet video traffic will account for 80% of all consumer Internet traffic.
We saw a marked increase in traffic to The Torridon website when we introduced video to the homepage. Feedback was that the viewers had previously not realised the natural beauty and situation of the hotels loch-side position, 2 of the major draws to consumers visiting the hotel.
Yes, cat’s playing piano will always garner attention but with such over-saturation of video content it is now more imperative to make sure that the content you generate to represent your brand is clear and informative.
On our own site we had a series of slides that showcased our services. On user testing we found that the majority of viewers skipped this content completely, scrolling immediately on landing on the homepage.
For us this meant that important information was being overlooked.
We introduced a short snippet of studio life and the people behind SHINE, this lead to a direct increase in engagement with people watching the entire duration of video before going deeper into the site. It gives a sense of trust, to see real live products or people. We could describe a beautiful sunset but wouldn’t you rather see it?
With several projects in the studio involving video content for digital platforms we look forward to seeing the direct impact this has for our clients.
If you have a project you’d like to speak to us about, give us a quick call and we’ll get the kettle on (or posh coffee machine) depending on your caffeine needs!